Monday, February 10, 2014

Love Letter




“There was a boy . . . The greatest thing you’ll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.” These lyrics were written into a song called Nature Boy by a yogi, Eden Ahbez, who lived under the Hollywood sign in California and incidentally influenced the hippie movement. Nat King Cole made it famous, then did Ewan McGregor in the movie Moulin Rouge. I think that yoga is a practice and mirror of life and vice versa and that that no matter what we learn in life or in yoga, like Nature Boy says, nothing can be more important than learning to listen to and follow your heart. 

Over the past several years, I have taken to listening to my heart more and more, to literally turn it into a personal practice, not allowing my intellect to have undue sway over important decisions. Seems illogical? EXACTLY! Logic is good for the SAT, but not necessarily some of the other important things we might be doing in our lives. I think everything we do in yoga practice is teaching us one major thing and that is to listen.
If I’m listening to my heart, this is what it is telling me.  .  . (Ahem!)

I love. Really that’s it. But I’ll expound. Firstly, I’m deeply, deeply in love with a wonderful woman, Seneca Perri, and we will be getting married on the Solstice. She is the light of my life, the woman of my dreams, the blossoming of my heart’s complete affection. I’m the best version of Scott Moore with her. She is a miracle in my life and I’m totally crazy about her. So yes, I’m totally madly in love. 

I love playing music. I am the luckiest guy in the world. I get to play tenor sax for two really kickin’ bands. The first is TheSoulistics, a 9-piece soul revival band. Also, I play for a fantastic jazz quintet called Jazz Brulée. There is nothing better than to blow through the end of a saxophone with the support of a wonderful band behind you that is puttin’ it down! What a thrill. I also have a wonderful sax teacher, Alan, who helps me find the music that is within me and helps me find my voice out the end of my sax.

I love my family. I have wonderfully supportive parents, two great sisters, and a twin brother who will always be my best friend. I swear we are like those G.I. Joe twins who can feel each other’s pain from across the country. 

I love a great meal with friends. I love a great meal and I love friends. So, if I can ever combine the two, fantastic. Typically someone will pull out a guitar and start playing or someone will start in with a heart wrenching or hilarious story and we will all get drunk on love for life and each other. 

I love teaching yoga. It teaches me much more than I try to teach anybody else. It’s taught me who I am and how important people are in my life. I love to practice yoga and discover who I am through this incredible practice. 

I love me some good chocolate. Sennie and I went to the Chocolate exhibit at the Natural History Museum the other day and I swear it was my modern interpretation of Scotty and the Chocolate Factory. I was in heaven. 

I love Prana Yoga. It’s been such a challenging and yet rewarding endeavor. I love the people I work with, my business partner Jennifer Ellen is a wonderful partner.  I am inspired by all the teachers and employees who bring their hearts, will, and spirit to benefit my life and the lives of everybody who walks through those doors of both of our studios. 

I love to run. I love to watch people grow. I love families. I love this valley. I love to laugh. I love a good movie. I love beautiful art. I love poetry. I love. I Love. I Love. And I love you all!
I invite you to write a love letter to all the things you love. Do it now.

Scott

No comments: