Monday, December 30, 2013

The Vision of Every Day



During a meditation this year, I had an astounding vision. In my vision, I was sitting in the office of one of my favorite college professors. He leaned back in his chair with his hands clasped behind his head and looked at me very seriously and said, “No matter what you believe, practice it every day.” For me this encouraged me to sit on my meditation cushion regularly, to practice yoga regularly, and to practice loving kindness every second of every day.

 This vision reminded me of the importance of daily practice. Whether a practice of yoga, meditation, writing, compassion, prayer, or anything else, a daily practice could look very different for each individual. And it should. This vision reminded me that some knowledge can only be learned by continued and dedicated practice. There can be no substitute, no book can give you that knowledge, no web site or Cliff Notes version can suffice. It’s about putting in the dedication every day. 

This is that unique time of year when Top Ten lists abound, people have totally bombed out on sugar and everybody seems to be inspired to start the new year committed to work hard to be their best selves. Resolutions, intentions, hopes, and dreams, drive us into the next year. And moving forward, there is nothing that we can’t accomplish. Anything can be learned, dreamed, achieved, built, changed, forgiven, moved . . . . Whatever you dream for yourself in 2014, I invite you to practice it somehow every day. Without fail.  
And whether it is related to yoga or not, let yoga be a catalyst for that daily practice. Let it be the practice or a compliment to it so that your body moves strongly and freely, your mind is focused and open, and that your heart is expansive and accepting of all the beautiful things in this world. 

Join me and Jennifer Ellen at Prana Yoga as we honor 2013 and usher in 2014 with ceremony, meditation, breath, and movement. Allow this to be the first mindful action of 2014. Begin your year with intention, purpose, vision, movement, breath, and focus.
Let yoga open you up to your visions of 2014.

Here’s to a new year!

No comments: